Friday, 16 March 2012

Severe beatings and arrests continue in Tibet

Phayul[Wednesday, March 14, 2012 17:02]
March 14: Reports of beatings, arrests and monks being expelled from monasteries continue to flow out of Tibet as the entire region reels under, what rights groups have called, an undeclared martial law.

On March 7, Khedup Dorjee, 38, a monk at Za-Samdrup Monastery in Kardze, was severely beaten and arrested by Chinese security officers, according to the Dharamshala based Tibetan Centre for Human Rights and Democracy.

Khedup Dorjee was involved in a peaceful protest in the crowded market of Kardze. His current whereabouts are unknown.

In another incident, TCHRD said that a Tibetan man, identified as Tashi Palden, was beaten with batons and rifle butts by Chinese security personnel for carrying out a peaceful protest at the market place in Kardze on February 11.

“He shouted slogans such as ‘Long Live His Holiness the Dalai Lama’ and ‘Independence for Tibet’,” TCHRD cited sources as saying.

In other reports, more than a hundred monks from the Karma monastery in Chamdo were expelled following a government decree.

“Monks without proper identification staying at the Karma monastery have been expelled and returned to their places of origin, according to a recent internal communiqué issued by the monastery management committee, “ US based radio service RFFA said citing sources.

“They are now made to work as laymen on local farms, with local village committees being put in charge of the monks’ ‘reeducation,’” the report said.

Reports coming in from Lhasa say that a Tibetan NGO worker, who was sentenced to life following the 2008 uprisings in Tibet, was seen in an army hospital in the capital February end.

TCHRD in a release said that Wangdue, a well-known HIV/AIDS activist, was being kept in a solitary room in the hospital guarded by three police officers, citing eyewitnesses.

“One of his hands was apparently broken and he had one side of his head shaven,” TCHRD said while adding that Wangdue could have sustained those injuries as a result of beatings in prison.

Wangdue was arbitrarily detained by the Lhasa City Public Security Bureau (PSB) officials from his home on March 14, 2008 in Lhasa and was later sentenced to life following which he was transferred to Chushul prison near Lhasa.

No comments:

Post a Comment