Monday 23 June 2014

Dhondup Wangchen released from prison

Thursday, 5 June 2014

Dhondup Wangchen released (source: Filming for Tibet)
Six years’ punishment for giving Tibetans a voice
The Tibetan film maker was driven by the police to his sister’s home about 3.00pm local time, after his release.
In a phone call with his cousin (Gyaljong Tsetrin) in Switzerland, Dhondup Wangchen said:
“At this moment, I feel that everything inside me is in a sea of tears. I hope to recover my health soon. I would like to express my feeling of deepest gratitude for all the support I received while in prison and I want to be reunited with my family”.
Mr Tsetrin, the president of Filming for Tibet and co-producer of Leaving Fear Behind, said:
“Though Dhondup is still under the control of the Chinese authorities I am very relieved that he could finally leave prison and has now the possibility to consult a doctor.”
During his incarceration he was subjected to prison labour and six months of solitary confinement. In 2013 he was moved to the Qinghai Provincial Women’s Prison, where he was the only male Tibetan political prisoner.

International recognition

Dhondup Wangchen and Golog Jigme travelled across Tibet in 2007 and 2008 documenting Tibetan voices on the eve of the Beijing Olympics and unprecedented Tibetan protests in Tibet.
These short interviews culminated in the documentary Leaving Fear Behind which has been translated into a dozen languages and screened in over 30 countries worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment