Sunday 9 October 2011

Dalai Lama addresses Tutu as 'man of God', wishes him 'Happy birthday'


Phayul[Saturday, October 08, 2011 17:24]
By Tendar Tsering

A screen shot of His Holiness the Dalai Lama's video message for Archbishop Desmond Tutu on his 80th birthday.
A screen shot of His Holiness the Dalai Lama's video message for Archbishop Desmond Tutu on his 80th birthday.
DHARAMSHALA October 8: The Tibetan spiritual leader His Holiness the Dalai Lama wished his fellow Nobel Peace Laureate Archbishop Desmond Tutu a “very happy birthday” in a 6 minute video message.

"Very, very dear elder spiritual brother and Nobel Laureate Archbishop Tutu," began the Dalai Lama with folded hands.

"I wish you very happy birthday to you with this traditional scarf, and I pray for your long life and health body," said the Dalai Lama in the video message sent to Tutu on his 80th birthday.

Expressing his regret at not being able to attend the birthday celebrations in person, the Tibetan spiritual leader said that he was eagerly looking forward to meeting Tutu.

“I am very very eager and looking forward to see you personally as this is one of the opportunity. I just waited till day before yesterday, but then there was a clear sign. My representative in New Delhi approached the Africa mission there, but till even last day there was no answer. So then I felt this is a clear sign that your government feels very inconvenient. Therefore, I canceled my visit,” the Dalai Lama said.

The 76-year old Tibetan spiritual leader also expressed his sadness at not being able to meet the stalwart African leader Nelson Mandela.

"I am very sad and very much hoping this time to see Nelson Mandela, who is now very old. So now I doubt whether I can have another occasion to meet him.”

However, addressing Archbishop Desmond Tutu, the Dalai Lama said, "You, Mr Tutu, my brother, although 80, because of your spirit and firm moral principle, always carry the message of love, compassion, peace, and non-violence. So you are truly man of god. So I am hoping for another opportunity to meet you.”

In his message, the Dalai Lama also acknowledged Archbishop Tutu’s commitment towards love and compassion, addressing him as an example for the younger generation.

“So, you are one of the important person who is really showing proper way, right way, from your own previous experience. Please take care your health,” the Dalai Lama concluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment